A New York City tourist landmark has created the most expensive burger in the world, with a price tag of $295.Serendipity 3, a Manhattan café that played a starring role in the 2001 blockbuster Hollywood rom-com Serendipity and is also home to the $1,000-dollar sundae, has created Le Burger Extravagant, a luxurious sandwich filled with a laundry list of premium ingredients that includes:
- Wagyu beef infused with 10-herb white truffle butter
- Salish Alderwood smoked Pacific sea salt
- hand-formed cheddar cheese that's been cave-aged for 18 months
- shaved black truffles
- fried quail egg
- white truffle-buttered Campagna roll
- blini, crème fraiche
- Kaluga caviar, farm-raised in Quzhou, China
- all speared with a solid gold ‘Fleur de Lis' toothpick encrusted with diamonds and designed by jeweler Euphoria New York
The burger is available for $295 with 48 hours' notice at the café. Serendipity 3 is no stranger to record-breaking dishes and most recently created the 69-dollar haute dog made with truffle oil, foie gras and heirloom ketchup.
If you've got money to burn, the $1,000-sundae made with Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream, edible gold leaf and exotic candied fruits from Paris all served in a baccarat Harcourt crystal goblet is also available with 48 hours' notice.
Meanwhile, it was a big week in the world of extreme sandwiches, as the Food Network UK also claimed to have created the meatiest sandwich in the world, creating a gargantuan submarine that stood a foot tall (over 30 cm), stuffed with 40 layers of cold cuts and weighing in at 13 kg.
Between layers of fried chorizo, salami, bacon, and other assorted cold cuts were a scant scattering of sliced beets, onions, lettuce and gherkins.